Both my husband and I love mussels. We tend to have them for special occasions after the kids have gone to bed (our version of a date night!). They are so, so, easy to make. Here's how!
Buy a bag or two (depending on how greedy you are) of mussels from the supermarket, fish market or best still, pluck them straight from the lovely Huon River in Tasmania:
Here's what you need:
- An onion, chopped finely
- At least 4 cloves of garlic microplaned or crushed
- Herbs, your choice, depending on your mood - Parsley, Oregano or Cilantro are good choices
- Olive Oil
- a glug of White Wine (1/4 cup or so)
- a finely chopped red chilli (optional but this is especially good with the Oregano or Cilantro)
- Juice and rind of a lemon
- Black Pepper (no salt necessary!)
Now place your pot of moules on the table and dig in! Discard any that haven't opened up. They are great with a great bread dipped in the juices or frites, as above.